The 2020 Census is Underway!
Local governments, community leaders and volunteers across the Kansas City metro are working together to ensure a complete and accurate count. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Census Bureau has adjusted 2020 Census operations in order to:
- Protect the health and safety of Census Bureau employees and the American public.
- Implement guidance from federal, state and local health authorities.
- Ensure a complete and accurate count of all communities.
Timeline for 2020 Census
- The Self-Response Phase ends on Sept. 30, 2020.
- The options for residents to self-respond are online, by phone or by mail.
- Non-Response Follow Up with households that don’t complete the census questionnaire is scheduled to take place Aug. 11 – Sept. 30, 2020
- The Census Bureau has delayed launching Mobile Questionnaire Assistance sites until further notice.
- Service-Based Enumeration has been delayed until further notice.
- Here the census works with service providers at soup kitchens, shelters, and regularly scheduled food vans to count the people they serve.
- The census Count of People Experiencing Homelessness has been delayed until further notice.
- This involves census takers counting people under bridges, in parks, in all-night businesses, etc.
- The Enumeration of Transitory Locations is tentatively scheduled for September 3–September 28.
- In this part of the count, census takers count people staying at campgrounds, RV parks, marinas, and hotels.